It’s not just festivals where food poisoning can happen.
People are also at risk from getting sick from eating food they have never seen before.
It’s a serious risk, experts warn, but the best way to avoid it is to take steps to limit the number of times you’re exposed to foodborne illness.
Food safety is a hot topic in Australia, with some governments now requiring food vendors to test the contents of their menus and handouts.
But it’s not all about food.
People are also more likely to get sick from drinking water, as well as from eating cooked or raw fruit and vegetables.
In a recent study published in the BMJ, researchers at the University of Adelaide compared people who had foodborne illnesses with people who didn’t.
They found that people who ate at least one meal with a contaminated food item were 2.5 times more likely than people who did not to develop a foodborne infection.
The researchers also found that those who ate more than five meals had a higher risk of developing a food-borne infection than those who didn’t eat more than three.
There is some evidence to suggest that some foods can trigger foodborne disease in people.
“A lot of these infections are related to food preparation, preparation of a variety of foods, and it can be as simple as mixing and matching foods,” Dr Hildreth said.
She says that it’s also possible for people to be exposed to the food through drinking water.
That’s why it’s important to keep a close eye on your food and avoid touching contaminated food.
And if you’re a vegetarian or vegan, you may be able to avoid being exposed to dangerous amounts of meat or poultry.
Dr Hilde says it’s critical to avoid the temptation to get food poisoning because it’s an automatic reaction to a contaminated dish.
“We don’t want to be the person who goes to a restaurant and gets a bite of a steak, or a burger, and then comes home and has a stomachache,” she said.
“What we’re looking at is a potentially severe disease that can happen from eating foods that are very contaminated.”
Read more about food safety in Australia